The Bonfire Team is proud to release version 0.5 Release Candidate 1!
There have been plenty of changes since the 0.2 release and we feel that it is a big enough leap to move to 0.5 rather than 0.3. Our aim is to get to a stable 0.5 version and then push on and get to a full 1.0 stable release.
We would like to thank everyone who has been involved in getting Bonfire to this point. The Bonfire community has grown and now there are more forum members than ever, 511 watchers and 144 forkers on Github and the number of code contributors has grown to 19. This is all excellent and the continued support ensures that Bonfire will continue to develop and grow.
Some of the more notable changes/additions are:
- A new Installer (mini-app) - which frees the main application to use Settings in the DB.
- Module Builder now allows the creation of modules from existing DB tables - allowing you to port old admin systems into Bonfire much more easily.
- A simple Front end User Profile area.
- Admin Area Keyboard Shortcuts
- Localization improvements, including Persian language files (thanks to Github user "sajjad-ser").
There were also lots of bugs squashed, but this isn't a final release, and more bugs are likely to be found. Please let us know about any bugs you find so that we can get them squashed before the 0.5 final release.
In an effort to get to a final 0.5 release smoothly we don't plan on adding any new features before the 0.5 final release.
Now is the perfect time to jump in and kickstart your next project.
To upgrade Bonfire, you simply overwrite the files/folders of the latest version directly over your old files. Always backup your database and it is highly recommended that you backup your existing files/folders before, as an added precaution.
The following files are specifically recommended to backup:
- bonfire/application/core/MY_Controller.php - though there have been changes to this core file
Additionally, if you have made custom themes, modules, or other files, you should back these up.